Dugas Liberal Arts North, Room 402
Phone: (936) 468-6631
Fax: (936) 468-7215
P.O. Box 6152, SFA Station
Nacogdoches, TX 75962
The Office of International Programs serves as a facilitator for international activities and exchanges at SFA. OIP serves students, faculty and administrators in disseminating information about study abroad, encouraging and facilitating the organization of faculty-led study abroad programs, and administering study abroad scholarships and international programs scholarships. Simultaneously, the OIP directs the recruitment of qualified international students as matriculated students.
The OIP also assists faculty with teaching exchanges. The unit oversees the negotiation of cooperative agreements between SFA and foreign universities for the exchange of students and faculty and for the development of joint research projects.
The OIP contributes to the campus further by raising awareness of international issues and studies so that our students are better prepared for lives in an increasingly globalized society.
OIP coordinates and facilitates opportunities for SFA students to study abroad through SFA faculty-led programs, exchange opportunities or via programs offered by other academic institutions. Students need to visit with the study abroad office, select from many opportunities and experiences that meet their academic goals, meet with their academic advisors to determine transferability of such courses to SFA, participate in a mandatory pre-departure orientation and, upon return, provide an opportunity for debriefing on experiences, accomplishments and perception of the study abroad activity.
Scholarships are available and financial aid applicable for most study abroad programs.
Foreign Non-Degree Students
SFA welcomes international students who are on a non-degree path, usually some type of study abroad experience. Two types of entrances are available:
- Sponsored programs, such as IREX, Fulbright, Rotary, etc.
- ISEP or other authorized bilateral exchange program - normally a student who is enrolled in a foreign university and wishes an international experience for a maximum of one year. Both types of students usually intend to transfer SFA credits back to their home institution.
- Submit International Student Application and $50 fee, indicating on the form “Transient Non-degree.”
- Submit official transcript of university currently attending, showing the applicant is a student in good standing.
- If a sponsored program, submit a letter of support and any intended goals or results of experience.
- Submit TOEFL, IELTS or PTE scores if English is not the native language of the applicant. For full enrollment, the paper test TOEFL score required is 550, and the internet-based test score is 79, IELTS is 6.5 or PTE at 53.
- Apply to live on campus through mySFA. For non-degree students attending SFA for one year or less, the student is advised that university residence halls are the most beneficial option to enhance the international student’s exposure to U.S. culture.
Students in this category are exempt from testing required for TSI.
Students also are required to attend International Student Orientation at the beginning of their first semester. Provisions are made for transportation to Nacogdoches from Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) in Houston upon arrival in Texas on the day before the orientation.
All students are assigned an advisor to assist with the appropriate choice of courses to fulfill goals or desires of the exchange experience.
Evidence of financial support is required for non-degree students. Upon admittance to SFA, a letter will be sent to the applicant with instructions about obtaining a visa for entrance to the United States.