John Allen Hendricks, chair
Boynton Building, Room 301B
Phone: (936) 468-4001
Fax: (936) 468-1331
P.O. Box 13048, SFA Station
Nacogdoches, TX 75962
John Allen Hendricks, Gary H. Mayer
Al Greule, Casey B. Hart
Philip Anderson, Seth Bradshaw, Bailey Airs Thompson, Meredith Wang
The mission of the Department of Mass Communication is to prepare students for careers in existing and emerging forms of mass media with an emphasis on critical thinking, ethical values, creativity, professional skills and social responsibility. The student will:
- demonstrate the ability to write effectively across a variety of platforms appropriate to the discipline
- gather, organize and analyze discipline-appropriate research and communicate information about it
- understand the role of media in society
- comprehend legal and ethical principles relating to media
- and demonstrate the application of media technology, terminology and techniques.
Mass communication internships provide qualified students with on-the-job experience and academic credit for working in professional media settings. The internship course provides opportunities to observe and analyze the methods, techniques and creative processes of professionals. For more information to determine eligibility, please visit with a mass communication advisor. Internship application forms must be completed and returned to the Department of Mass Communication located in the Boynton Building, Room 301.
Practical experience is available to students in electronic and print media through supervised work with the university’s media facilities: SFA-TV2; the KSAU-FM radio station; the student newspaper, The Pine Log; and the student yearbook, the Stone Fort.