Jeana Paul-Ureña, chair
Dugas Liberal Arts North, Room 235
Phone: (936) 468-4303
Fax: (936) 468-2033
P.O. Box 13042, SFA Station
Nacogdoches, TX 75962
James E. Towns (1994-95)
Joyce Johnston, Larry J. King, Linda Levitt, Jeana Paul-Ureña, Sudeshna Roy, Juan Carlos Ureña
Carlos Cuadra, Carrie Kennedy-Lightsey, Gabriela Miranda-Recinos, José Neftalí Recinos, Christopher Sams, Jessica Sams, R. Tyler Spradley, Louise Stoehr
Paulo Dutra, Elizabeth Spradley
Aparecida de Fátima Cordeiro Dutra, Laurie Sadler Lawrence, Kelsey Pelham, Thomas Reynolds, Kimberly Squyres
The area of communication studies recognizes two principal objectives:
- to educate students in historical, scientific and artistic aspects of communication and contemporary culture
- and to prepare students for professional careers by bringing general and liberal education into focus and organizing it upon a framework of communication as a science, an art and a service.
The area of modern languages recognizes three principal objectives:
- to develop competence in understanding, speaking, reading and writing a foreign language
- to cultivate an appreciation for the culture and civilization of the people whose language is being studied
- and to provide guidance in preparation for the various opportunities in language work.
Communication National Honor Society
Membership in Lamda Pi Eta, the national communication honor society, is open to outstanding advanced-level students of communication studies.
French National Honor Society
Membership in Phi Delta Pi, the national French honor society, is open to outstanding advanced-level students of French.
Spanish National Honor Society
Membership in Sigma Delta Pi, the national Hispanic honor society, is open to outstanding advanced-level students of Spanish.
Advanced Placement and Bypass Credit
Advanced placement with credit for courses bypassed may be earned in French, German, Portuguese and Spanish. Such credit is available in the sequence of French FRE 131 -FRE 132 , FRE 231 -FRE 232 , German GER 131 -GER 132 , GER 231 -GER 232 , Portuguese POR 131 -POR 132 , POR 231 -POR 232 and Spanish SPA 131 -SPA 132 , SPA 231 -SPA 232 , and French FRE 303 and Spanish SPA 303 . In the 131-303 sequence, the student must earn a grade of C or higher in the course taken in order to receive bypass credit. Repeated courses do not carry bypass credit. In all cases, the student must apply for bypass credit through the Department of Languages, Cultures and Communication.
Students who are unsure as to proper placement in language courses are strongly encouraged to take the placement examination offered each semester by the department. The examination carries no credit and is for placement only. On the basis of the score earned on the examination, the language advisor recommends a course commensurate with the student’s level of competence in the language.