Dec 03, 2022
The Bachelor of Fine Arts with a major in theatre is a pre-professional program designed to prepare the student for entry into the theatre profession or for advanced study. Admission and screening procedures for the B.F.A. program normally take place during the spring of the sophomore year. Transfer students will be screened and admitted by the same process in their first semester.
Each student in the program is subject to an annual review procedure that is required to continue in the program. Jury critiques may be required for the following performance courses: THR 221 , THR 223 , THR 321 , THR 420 , THR 421 , THR 424 , THR 427 , THR 428 . Jury projects are conducted during the final two weeks of a semester for the purpose of assisting the student in his/her overall development of professional skills.
Curriculum (123-124 hours)
1. Fine Arts Core Curriculum Requirements (42 hours)
A. Communication (6 hours)
C. Life and Physical Sciences (6 hours)
Select two from the following three-hour classes:
Select two of the following four-hour classes:
D. Language, Philosophy and Culture (3 hours)
E. Creative Arts (3 hours)
Select one course outside of your major discipline:
F. American History (6 hours)
G. Government/Political Science (6 hours)
H. Social and Behavioral Sciences (3 hours)
I. Component Area Option (6 hours)
2. The B.F.A. in theatre has three concentrations
Stage management, technical theatre and design, and acting and directing. These have slightly different curricular requirements. Consult your advisor for specific information.
3. Advanced work
(courses numbered 300-499 inclusive), (36 or more hours). At least 36 hours at SFA.
4. A minimum of 42 semester hours
residence (SFA campus) work.
5. The B.F.A. requires 81 to 82 hours
of coursework, including a professional internship or equivalent (not to exceed 19 hours of credit). Must include 18 advanced hours at least 14 of which must be completed in residence. Grades of C or better in THR 162 , THR 460 and THR 461 .
A. Theatre Core: (33 hours)
B. Production: (7- 9 hours)
Tech/design and stage management students:
- Five hours of production lab (two to three hours of THR 150 and two to three hours of THR 350 ) are required
- and four hours from THR 450 (one to six hours) and THR 425 (three to six hours).
Incoming freshmen (declared majors) are required to complete five semesters of production lab. Transfer students are required to complete four semesters of production lab.
- Three hours of production lab (one to two hours of THR 150 and one to two hours of THR 350 ) are required, and four hours from 425 (three to six hours) and THR 450 (one to six hours).
C. Electives: (18-23 hours)
Six hours to be chosen from:
Six hours to be chosen from:
Stage management students:
Nine hours of electives from:
Five to 19 hours from:
* Courses offered in general education requirements may not count in both blocks.
6. Enough additional hours to total *123-124
7. A grade of at least C
in each freshman English course, a C average at SFA, a C average in work completed in the major and minor fields, considered separately, at SFA. These required averages are based on those courses in each category that are included in the student’s official degree plan.
8. All students must satisfy provisions
of the Texas Success Initiative program. See TSI information elsewhere in this bulletin.