May 19, 2022
Joyce Johnston, coordinator
Ferguson Building, Room 273 AA
Phone: (936) 468-6537
The Bachelor of Science in multidisciplinary studies is one of three interdisciplinary degrees offered in the College of Liberal and Applied Arts . It remains distinct from others (the Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences and the Bachelor of Arts in liberal studies) in that students can select areas of study from any of SFA’s colleges. Unlike those enrolled in a traditional degree program, students pursuing the BS in multidisciplinary studies will work with the program coordinator to design a degree plan comprising three areas of study. Each area of study requires a total of 18 semester credit hours. Students must complete a total of 27 advanced hours within the major. The areas of study must be complementary to one another. Students wishing to pursue this degree must be able to demonstrate how these areas can be logically, academically and professionally integrated.
In most cases, students may include areas of study from any of the academic programs that currently offer minors. However, only those students pursuing the physical science secondary teaching certification may include secondary education as one of the three areas of study. In addition, only one area of study within any degree plan can be based on a defined interdisciplinary minor (a list of these minors can be obtained through the Division of Multidisciplinary Programs ).
Students interested in pursuing the BS in multidisciplinary studies must meet the following prerequisite requirements:
- Students must have a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA to be eligible for the program.
- Students must meet with the program coordinator before changing their major to the BS in multidisciplinary studies program.
Foundation of Knowledge (9-13 hours)
a) Additional Science
Six to eight additional semester hours from one of the following sequences:
Anthropology, archaeology, geography:
b) Additional Mathematics
Three to five additional semester hours from Mathematics (MTH) courses numbered 133 or higher.
2. Program and Major Requirements
3. Multidisciplinary Studies Major
Complete a total of 27 advanced hours from the combined Discipline Areas.
A. Discipline Area 1
Minimum 18 hours
B. Discipline Area 2
Minimum 18 hours
C. Discipline Area 3
Minimum 18 hours
4. GPA and Grade Requirements
- Students must maintain a GPA of 2.0 or higher overall.
- Students must achieve a minimum GPA of 2.0 in each discipline area of study.
- Students must earn a grade of C or higher in both BAAS 3300 and BAAS 4398 .
- A grade of at least C in each freshman English course.
- If required by the Texas Success Initiative, and unless exempted from the Texas Success Initiative, a C in MATH 0199 and INRW 0399 .
- A C average in work completed at SFA. These required averages are based on those courses in each category that are included in the student’s official degree plan.
5. Advanced and Residence Requirement
- A minimum of 42 semester hours of advanced courses (300-499 courses) at least 36 of which must be at SFA.
- An overall minimum of 42 semester hours of residence work at SFA.
8. Hours needed to total 120
To be discussed with advisor.
The following is the recommended sequence of course completion for this degree.