Jeana Paul-Ureña, chair
Dugas Liberal Arts North, Room 235
Phone: (936) 468-4303
Fax: (936) 468-2033
P.O. Box 13042, SFA Station
Nacogdoches, TX 75962
James E. Towns (1994-95), Emeritus
Joyce Johnston, Larry J. King, Linda Levitt, Gabriela Miranda-Recinos, Jeana Paul-Ureña, José Neftalí Recinos, Sudeshna Roy, Christopher Sams, R. Tyler Spradley, Louise Stoehr, Juan Carlos Ureña
Carlos Cuadra, Elizabeth Spradley
Mario Morera Jiménez, Michael T. Welsh
Kathleen McGough, Kelsey Pelham, Thomas Reynolds
The area of communication studies recognizes two principal objectives:
- to educate students in historical, scientific and artistic aspects of communication and contemporary culture
- and to prepare students for professional careers by bringing general and liberal education into focus and organizing it upon a framework of communication as a science, an art and a service.
The area of modern languages recognizes three principal objectives:
- to develop competence in understanding, speaking, reading and writing a foreign language
- to cultivate an appreciation for the culture and civilization of the people whose language is being studied
- and to provide guidance in preparation for the various opportunities in language work.
Communication National Honor Society
Membership in Lamda Pi Eta, the national communication honor society, is open to outstanding advanced-level students of communication studies.
French National Honor Society
Membership in Phi Delta Pi, the national French honor society, is open to outstanding advanced-level students of French.
Spanish National Honor Society
Membership in Sigma Delta Pi, the national Hispanic honor society, is open to outstanding advanced-level students of Spanish.
Advanced Placement and Bypass Credit
Advanced placement with credit for courses bypassed may be earned in French, German, Portuguese and Spanish. Such credit is available in the sequence of French FREN 1311 -FREN 1312 , FREN 2311 -FREN 2312 , German GERM 1311 -GERM 1312 , GERM 2311 -GERM 2312 , Portuguese PORT 1311 -PORT 1312 , PORT 2311 -PORT 2312 and Spanish SPAN 1311 -SPAN 1312 , SPAN 2311 -SPAN 2312 , and French FREN 3303 and Spanish SPAN 3303 . In the 1311-3303 sequence, the student must earn a grade of C or higher in the course taken in order to receive bypass credit. Repeated courses do not carry bypass credit. In all cases, the student must apply for bypass credit through the Department of Languages, Cultures and Communication.
Students who are unsure as to proper placement in language courses are strongly encouraged to take the placement examination offered each semester by the department. The examination carries no credit and is for placement only. On the basis of the score earned on the examination, the language advisor recommends a course commensurate with the student’s level of competence in the language.