Sep 24, 2023
1. Core Curriculum Requirements (42 hours)
A. Communication (6 hours)
B. Mathematics (3 hours):
C. Life and Physical Sciences (6 hours)
Most science courses require co-enrollment in an appropriate laboratory course (see College Requirements).
D. Language, Philosophy and Culture (3 hours)
E. Creative Arts (3 hours)
F. American History (6 hours):
G. Government/Political Science (6 hours):
H. Social and Behavioral Sciences (3 hours)
I. Component Area Option (6 hours)
2. College Requirements
(Some of these courses may be taken to satisfy part of the Core Curriculum Requirements listed in Item 1. Twenty-one to 22 additional hours):
C. Four semesters (14-16 hours)
Four semesters of laboratory sciences, including appropriate laboratory courses chosen from:
Most science courses require co-enrollment in an appropriate laboratory course.
3. Major Requirements: (43 hours)
plus six advanced hours of computer science (restricted).
A student must have a grade of C or higher in all courses that are prerequisite to a computer science course before enrolling in that course.
4. Hours Requirements:
- Only three hours of mathematics and six hours of science are included in the core. Programs requiring four credit hour mathematics or science courses incorporate the additional hours elsewhere in their program requirements.
- At least 42 hours in residence at SFA, at least 36 advanced hours in residence at SFA, at least 15 hours of advanced work in the major at SFA, and at least 120 semester hours total (excluding remedial-type courses).
5. Grade Requirements:
*Maintain at least a 2.0 GPA in courses completed at SFA and a grade of at least C in each freshman English course. Maintain at least a 2.0 GPA in major coursework at SFA, minor coursework at SFA, in advanced computer science courses at SFA and in transfer courses.
*Note: Required averages are based on those courses in each category that are included in the student’s official degree plan.
6. Additional Requirements:
If the approximate equivalent of a required upper-division course is taken at another accredited institution at the freshman-sophomore level and transferred to SFA, the transferred course will be accepted for elective credit only, and an appropriate junior-senior level course in the same field will be substituted for the required course.
All students must satisfy provisions of the Texas Success Initiative program. See TSI Information elsewhere in this bulletin.
Students must satisfy the requirements for the Bachelor of Science with a major in computer science as listed in the College of Sciences and Mathematics section of this bulletin.
Computer Science Major Requirements (43 hours)
5. Six advanced hours from
a list of approved computer science courses
Sophomore Year (33 hours)
Core and Remaining Requirements:
7. Six advanced hours of computer science (restricted)
8. Elective hours as required
Minimum of 24 semester hours needed to complete the degree program in the senior year.